Chicken Curry with Coconut Rice

I can hardly believe it myself, but dinner turned out pretty tasty tonight.  Now, before I get ahead of myself, no, I did not make homemade curry.  Let's be realistic.  But I did pick some up in a jar and had to do a lot of chopping, so that has to count for something.  And the curry was pretty tasty; I chopped up chicken, broccoli, carrots, and red peppers and simmered them together with the curry sauce.  On the side, I made basmati rice with coconut milk, courtesy of FV.  That was actually pretty easy and I felt like a dork for having asked for the recipe, but what can you do.  And I even toasted some coconut to throw on top of everything!  Overall, I'd say it was a success - tasty and relatively healthy, all things considered.

Some things I learned.

1. Red peppers cook very quickly.  Carrots and broccoli do not.  I will add the red peppers last next time, in order to avoid soggy vegetables.

2.  Using coconut milk in lieu of water or stock makes for a thicker, fuller rice and means that the rice doesn't stick to the rice machine.  That in itself is reason enough to use coconut milk forever.

3. Next time, I would add a little bit of hot pepper, for some spice.  I think I'm finally starting to understand the concept "to taste."

4.  Coconut toasts in less than 7 minutes.  Luckily, it isn't burnt at 7 minutes, but I'm willing to guess that 7 and a half wouldn't go well.  Note to self: watch the coconut more closely next time!

Not bad for a jetlagged, Monday night.  Keep your fingers crossed for Tuesday!

Comments

  1. That sounds delicious! I never thought of making the rice with coconut milk. That's a great idea! I am going to have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coconut milk, eh? I'll have to give that a try. Most chicken stocks have soy in them so I always just use water. Sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm definitely on the coconut milk bandwagon now! It smelled coconut-y but didn't really taste that way, so you could still put a lot of things with the rice. And did I mention it didn't stick to the pan? That was awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

30 Day Writing Challenge

The Rest of Belgium

Take your trot and shove it