Running

As any athlete knows, watching the Olympic games brings back a rush of all of the old emotions, good and bad, that come from a lifetime of participating in sports.  For me, watching the women cross the finish line of the marathon was one of those moments where the flood of memories was stronger than ever and I was once again appreciative for everything that running has given me over the years - friends, confidence, the ability to set and achieve goals, and even a free dinner or two (hey, those gift certificates to fancy restaurants for winning races in grad school were always welcome!).

For me, these last few years have also meant that there has been a lot of pain associated with my running, by way of surgeries, severe injuries, and generally, feeling like an arm chair quarterback.  In a run a few years ago - with people who knew me as a slow runner who was always injured - I started to feel a bit like Al Bundy, reliving glory days while everyone around me rolled their eyes and wondered when I was going to move on already.  It's not a pretty feeling.  But my glory days really are past me, any records long broken, and my name barely a memory in a history book at my old high school.

It hasn't helped that these last 5 years, while wonderful for me professionally and personally, have taken their toll on me physically.  In 2007, I was diagnosed with celiac's disease (a diagnosis that took almost 4 years to come to, so by the time it came, I was in pretty bad shape).  Shortly afterwards, I had to have reconstructive ankle surgery (3 pins!) so that I could walk without a brace - running was an afterthought.  Then came one year of recovery and two years of trying to get back into shape but being held back by constant reinjury.  Other health problems also intruded, including another difficult diagnosis - pernicious anemia - and an abdominal surgery in 2011. The anemia, the result of an autoimmune deficiency which means I don't process B-12 - remains difficult today, as I received extensive nerve damage to my right side before I was treated.  I still get tingles in my right arm/hand and foot, especially if my B-12 is low.  Realistically, I will for life, although treatment in the form of supplements and some pretty amazing chiropractic care has taken away the majority of my symptoms and my constant pain.

So why am I telling you this?  Probably because in my head, I need some justification for the nosedive that my running has taken over the last 5 years.  There was a time in my life, even in graduate school, where I could go out to any local 5k and win (or at the very least, place second).  Even in large races, the kinds where I wouldn't win, I would run the kinds of times that made 99% of the population green with envy.  The last 5k race that I ran was about 26 minutes.  Talk about how the mighty have fallen...

But one thing has changed.  I am healthy.  Completely, 100%, all of my limbs work and I'm not in any pain - HEALTHY!  Before I left for Europe this summer, I got a clean bill of health.  I have spent a lot of time in the yoga studio in the last year, worked on expanding my atheletic pursuits in other areas, and have finally reached the point where I can run again.  And now it's time to start.

Tomorrow my odessy will begin.  I know that I won't ever be as fast or as fit as I was at 20 (that's a reality that we all have to face), but I do know that I am finally at a point where my body is ready to take on the challenge of full-time training again.  It's going to be a long road and I don't expect any miracles.  But hey, what's that about a single step?  I'm going to take mine on Monday, August 6, 2012.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Day Writing Challenge

The Rest of Belgium

Take your trot and shove it