My Apartment

While I was planning this trip, a lot of people asked me if I was sure that I made a good decision. After all, I choose this place based on a few pictures on the Internet and a couple of positive emails with the landlords. So did I ever have any doubts? Honestly, no, not until I was standing in the Malaga airport, feeling like a couple idiot for not being able to call my landlord (the one who turned out to be great – have I mentioned that? And no, you can’t rent the apartment next year because I may have to come back) because I couldn’t figure out how to use the European cell phone (you have to dial a + sign before you dial the rest of the number in order to call – and if you already knew that, do me the favor and don’t tell me) and wondering if I was over my head. After a frantic phone call to the US, my landlord was contacted, the bus schedule was determined, and Veronica was going to pick me up at the bus station. But still, I was starting to have my doubts…



Luckily for me, all of my doubts were unfounded. The apartment is exactly as advertised and even bigger than I expected (impressive closet space for a country known for its small living spaces). I knew that I was going to have a balcony, but I had no idea it would fit a table with four chairs, as well as a clothes line (I have a washer, but clothes have to be line dried). It would be a great place for a party – now I just have to make some friends to invite over for dinner!


My living room is spacious as well: futon, table and chairs, tv (okay, that’s little), a china cabinet, and a couple of easy chairs. As you can see from the picture, the décor has a decidedly Jersey Shore vibe (amusing on so many levels), but it’s neat and clean and has everything you could need. Same with the kitchen; there’s no microwave or dishwasher, but everything else is in top shape and great working order (well, I don’t know about the over – I’m afraid to use it – but it looks pretty). My bathroom is even bigger than my one at home!






My bedroom is pretty plain, but the wall of closets is pretty neat. It’s got a window that looks over the hills that surround the town. Because my apartment is at the end of the floor, it’s very private – I share very little space with anyone else. I do share one wall with the apartment next door, but it appears to be a weekend holiday apartment for now, so it’s been pretty quiet since Sunday night. The building in general seems to have a fair share of holiday apartments (apparently, a lot of people in Granada have weekend places down here), so it’s relatively quiet. But honestly, I kind of like it that way. It’s easier to get in the spirit of work that way and since this is a working vacation, it’s good to know that I won’t have too many distractions (unless I’m looking for them in town, which is a whole other story).

Overall, it’s a great place – and the beach is literally right across the street. I couldn’t have planned it better if I had tried…go figure!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Day Writing Challenge

The Rest of Belgium

Take your trot and shove it