Tasty Memories

I'm a bit behind with my 30 day writing challenge, which should come as no surprise to anyone who has ever met me. I suppose undertaking such a endeavor in the middle of our major professional conference, towards the end of the semester, and while planning an extended international trip was not the best of ideas. Was it Churchill who said "perfection is the enemy of progress"? Well, Google thinks so, so I'm going to go with it.

So I will continue to soldier on. And I promise to make up for my delinquent ways with a few extra entries between now and then.

Honestly, this has been quite difficult. I spend a lot of my day writing for public consumption (albeit a small public) and trying to figure out what ELSE to write about has been a challenge. Still, my goal remains - to be a better story teller. And for now, the stories I tell will be from my own life. But maybe as I get more used to this, I'll tell you about some of the things that rattle around my head when I'm not grading papers and interpreting statistical models.

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving, a holiday that I used to enjoy because I REALLY like pie. And stuffing. And more pie. But I was diagnosed with celiac's disease 11 years ago, which means my days of pie are mostly in my past. As a result, the Thanksgiving spread has lost some luster over the years (don't get me started on gluten free pie crust). It has meant a lot changes at the traditional table, not all of which have ended well. Over the years, some experiments were more successful than others. As a result, our meal has changed, although not always for the good (after a glass of wine, I'll tell you about the disastrous chocolate torte).

But one thing has remained the same, from childhood to celilac's disease to Texas (and soon to be Australia): my mom's famous yam puffs. They have graced every holiday table I can remember, from Thanksgiving to Christmas to Easter. They've even made a guest appearance at a Passover Seder or three. So I'd like to share them with you.

As everyone knows, I shouldn't be giving anyone cooking advice; in fact, I do believe I am contractually prohibited from it, per the local fire department. But this one is mom's recipe, so you can trust Joan.

Joan's Famous Yam Puff*

4 cups yams or sweet potatoes
¼ cup butter
2 well beaten eggs
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder


Peel yams, boil or steam till tender, and mash in a bowl. 





Add remaining ingredients.  Beat well, and pour into buttered casserole dish.  Bake uncovered 30-40 minutes at 350 degrees.


Pro tip: make sure that the baking powder is fresh. Old baking powder means that the puff won't "puff," and while it will taste the same, it will be dense. You want it to be light and fluffy.

This dish can be easily made the day before, then bake before dinner. It also makes tasty leftovers that will be good for 2 to 3 days after. 

Here's what it will look like before you put it in the oven. It will darken in the oven and get a little brown on top - that's how you know it's done.



Yam puff is great with turkey or with beef. It also makes a great addition to a vegetarian Thanksgiving table! I haven't tried to make it vegan just yet, but I think you could easily substitute margarine and store bought egg substitute. It's definitely on my list to try - if you give it a try, please report back.

And then, enjoy!

From my family to yours, I hope you have an amazing holiday season! Happy Thanksgiving!

*Want to know the difference between a yam and a sweet potato? Check out this link from the North Carolina Sweet Potato People. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Day Writing Challenge

The Rest of Belgium

Take your trot and shove it